Choosing someone to help you buy or sell your home is a vitally important step in relocating. Thanks to the fast-paced nature of real estate, having someone familiar with the process and your area can make all the difference. Making the decision on who to trust with one the largest transactions of your life can seem daunting. After all, how do you narrow down your list of potential REALTORS®? Below is a list of questions to help you ensure your REALTOR® is the right fit for you:
- Why did you decide to become a REALTOR®? Some weeks agents may not get a day off, and some days they’re going to be working more than eight hours to make a closing go smoothly. Having a REALTOR® with a true interest in real estate and the desire to take on people’s needs as his or her own is going to make you happier throughout the process.
- Are you a full-time REALTOR®? Some agents may only be able to show houses in the morning or evenings. Some may have days they are unable to work. Asking about scheduling flexibility up front ensures everyone’s on the same page.
- What are the new techniques, tools, etc. you’ve recently incorporated into your business? As we mentioned above, real estate is constantly changing. Thanks to technology, plenty of new ways are always being developed to assist you with buying a home or marketing your current one. Ask how they market their listings or if they have any custom ways for you to search for houses online.
- How do you most often communicate with your clients? It may be a cliché, but it’s true: Communication is key. Even if your home selling or buying process went exactly according to plan, you may not feel that way if the process was not explained the way you’d prefer. Some clients like their REALTORS® to be teachers, explaining each step of the process as it comes. This would likely require several phone calls and face-to-face meetings. Others may prefer major updates via email. Whatever your preference, asking how they typically communicate with their clients gives you an idea of what to expect.
- What’s the best review/testimonial you’ve ever received from a client? This question gives you an idea of not only what other clients have thought of the service agents provided, but what they think their best qualities are.
Selecting a real estate agent requires trusting they will handle the details so your home purchase or sale runs smoothly. Keep these questions in mind to help you select the agent best suited to help guide you through the process.